Tuesday, March 3

The layout design of a prototype

The first screen: a dialogue

Starting from a conversation: I remembered and I forgot. The logos floating on the screen are some popular social networking sites or user-generated contents. The dotted background and intertwined line are trying to show that they form a massive informative space. Two dialogues are the initial options for the user to navigate through this digital memory space.
(PS: All the logos are used in here belong to their respective owners.)


Second screen: generating the most popular terms from the digital memory space

Initially, the film-reel like bars are created to display the popular terms in the horizontal axle. However, I found too many search results from the site like Flickr or Twitter. Therefore, I add some note-like images to display the most popular words/phrases, such as I forgot my passwords or wallet. This note-like images are not only could be used to represent what the things are most forgettable but also a sub-menu for the user to go into a particular sentence or a phrase. In order to make the screen more interesting, the two large screens basically can be used to show the most time immemorial images/videos chosen by the designers, rather than generating automatically form the database.


The third screen: perceiving a new world of something forgettable


In here, a simulated interface outlines some mush-up images related to the certain term matched the selected words on the previous screen - 'I forgot umbrella'. The photos can be display in the tiled presentation, like the first one and two image. But I hope, ideally, all the photos can display randomly on the screen to give a roughly overview of the people narrating their common memory. But I don't know whether it is possible or control the size of the images and their rotations. And, the images stack up may course more technical problems. But the third one is more ideal way to display the notion of mash-up data from the Web.
(PS: The images in a simulated interface are not related to the sentence 'I forgot umbrella' because of concerning the copyright issue. Here using some my personal photos is to show the arrangement of mash-up images. Ideally, the final project stage should be able to harvest the images hyper-linked from some user-generated content.)


Inspirations:
  • 118118
    118118 is the UK's most popular directory enquiries service company. They start a new service to answer whatever their customers text to them. The interface are a cloud of question marks floating on the screen and each question mark represent a question feed. Their two iconic runners are on the both sides of the screen waiting to respond to the user's action. Once a user clicks on a question mark, one runner will stage their customers' questions and the other will show the answer. This dialogue design is interesting to me, therefore, I use the dialogue design to establish a conversation with user in order to lead them navigating through out the memory space.
  • Make a Wish

    While I was looking for some photos from my album, I found this work. It was a work showing people's wishes on the New Year Day. The videos are projected onto the wall of the Home of Edinburgh City Council. The visual style was very artistic and the contents were interesting. I was standing for a while and enjoyed looking at people's wishes. A wish is part of a person's life, the part has not been completed yet. I made a wish too at that time. Anyway, it reminds me we could extend our work beyond the desktop one day.
  • My sketch


    I thought of the work flow on the paper for a while and then moved onto the computer to design the layout or colour scheme.

No comments: